October 16, 2011

An Afternoon with Nate Wragg

I headed over the Gallery Nucleus today for a lecture and demo by one of my favorite artists: Mr. Nate Wragg. If you don't know him by name, I am pretty sure you know his work. Most recently he was part of the Pixar features Ratatouille and Toy Story 3 designing characters that you may just recognize.


He started the lecture / Q&A with his story; how he started in design, jobs he had, and his projects. After about an hour we took a short break and when we returned with cookies in our tummies, (provided by the Motivart team) Nate started his demo.

It was really great to not just hear about his process but to actually see it taking form from start to finish. He uses a lot of materials that you think wouldn't work together like acrylic paint, magazine cut outs, and painted watercolor paper but somehow he always created the most delightful pieces of art. It still floors me that his can create such amazing art using this pretty ordinary group of supplies.


I didn't have a book or a print for him to sign when I met him so he was kind enough to sign my sketchbook. I love that he drew his signature character. I am totally framing this and putting it on my wall.


No comments:

 
Design by Wordpress Theme | Bloggerized by Free Blogger Templates | Best Buy Printable Coupons